Sharing

postings of old papers & pictures I have saved or inherited.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Endometrial Cancer Fighter. Cant' call me a survivor until 2012.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

A Thanksgiving Reverie


An undated Thanksgiving reverie written by my mother. She was born in 1920, the only girl with 4 brothers. She died in the fall of 1997, while suffering with anesthesia enhanced alzheimers (she had symptoms of Alzheimers before surgery, but we believe that the very necessary surgery and therefore the subsequent anesthesia hastened the progression of the disease). I would estimate that this was probably written between 1991 and 1996. I will type in the text in case the picture is illegible. The statements made in the text are simply my mothers experiences and no offense is intended towards anyone, living or dead.

Thanksgiving
I'm thankful for changes in my lifestyle from what I knew as a child vs. today ~ 70 years in transition.
I enjoy having clothes that are comfortable and warm. In first grade I shared knee-high socks with my brother, and the socks having lost their elasticity through age and many launderings, were all day long down around my ankles. With the first cool weather I was forced to wear "a union suit" ~ cotton knit underwear that buttoned down the front, with a "drop seat", long sleeves and long legs, down to the ankle. Designed for boys, they were a weird sight with my dresses until I rolled them up to my crotch. By the time I got to school they had unrolled to my knees, intent on reaching my ankles, which were already swathed in sagging socks. I hardly learned anything for the distraction of keeping my underwear rolled up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home