Sharing

postings of old papers & pictures I have saved or inherited.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Endometrial Cancer Fighter. Cant' call me a survivor until 2012.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Old letter

Letter from Father Tucker (Benjamin Franklin) to his grandson, my dad. I transcribed it as best I can decipher. "Sanda Claus" is the way he spelled it, not my creation. Remember, spelling is fluid over time, customs and ordinary spellings do change. If I was absolutely stumped at a spelling.. it's indicated by a (?) following the word.

One thing to note, Dad would've just been about 4 years old in 1926.. pretty young to be writing to his grandfather. I expect it was just a few words and his mother filled in the rest. I'd have loved to seen what he did send..

Again, as always, click on the picture to see a larger version.



Conyers, Ga 12 – 9 – 1926

My Dear Tommie

Lagrange

Ga

I received your welcome letter last week was delighted to know you was so smart to write me a letter. Sanda Claus came to Atlanta last Saturday and He is still there has put his reindeer in a good dry place to rest so they will be ready to go out again by Christmas, am going to try to get things to come to Lagrange to see you. Don’t expect they will come to Conyers unless you come up here. I saw a great big rabbit. He run right in a brier patch his old white just just shined. I did not have any gun so did not get him. You are such a smart & nice boy, want to see you so bad want you to come we will find some birds & rabbits & squirrels.




Virginia has been to see me several times since you was here. I am goig to have some firecrackers, roman candles and sparklers. Candy and oranges and apples. Tell Mother that Mrs. W. V. Almand was buried yester. Very sad to loose such a good friend. Mrs. Sharp(?) was carried to the Hospital yesterday the drs will decide today whether they will have to operate or not. If I go to Atlanta am going to try to get Sanda to drive his deers to Lagrange to see you, I am going to tell him what a nice boy you are. They must get so tired going to every body house we have (these?three?) cats and one dog. Six Legorn (?) pullets one of them has found 20 egg then we have some red chickens. The old trains still runs up and down the RR and Blows at us. Will be looking for a letter telling me when you are coming.

So good by,

Father Tucker.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home